Originally Posted by Wolf6151
I threw this mock together real quick this evening but I think that it addresses most of our needs with the exception of DT that I think we should address in FA since we've proven we're not real good with DT's in the draft.
1. Joe Haden-CB, if Dunta leaves then replacing him will be our top priority since no one that's currently on our roster is good enough to step up as a #1 CB. Haden has all the physical skills he just needs a little coaching on technique and some experience.
2. Nate Allen-FS, Morgan Burnett will most likely be gone in the 1st round and Allen has been moving up draft boards alot lately. I want a good coverage FS/ballhawk.
3. Mike Johnson-OG, might be available and might not if he's gone then the pick is Sergio Render-OG. Both are obvious upgrades to the interior O-line that are much needed.
4. Thomas Austin-OG, should be available and we need a massive talent upgrade on the interior O-line. If he doesn't start by mid year then he should at least be a quality backup. Adding 2 OG's should move Myers and Brisiel to backup rolls where they belong and move Studdard and White off the team where they belong.
5. Anthony Dixon-RB, a power RB who's not perfect but who is in the 5th round. He'll need some work on quickness, speed, and cutting ability but he's got potential.
5. Kyle Jolly-OT, the only depth at OT we've got is Rashad Butler and Tutan Reyes (who?). Jolly has got good size and has started lots of games for N.C. and should have the ability to be a utility O-lineman and decent depth at OT.
6. LeGarrette Blount-RB, I know about the punch and discipline issue with him, I watched the Boise St. game. This pick will be very dependent on how he has handled himself since the incident and on his interviews. If he hasn't changed his attitude then we pick someone else obviously, but if he's had no further incidents, interviews well and seems to have changed his attitude then he's the pick. The guy has talent, size, and power and someone will give him a chance in the NFL. Also in the 6th round it's a very low risk high reward situation. If he plays well great and if he doesn't then we haven't lost anything since most 6th round picks don't make their respective teams rosters anyway.
7. Zoltan Mesko-P, he's big, a good punter, and much younger and cheaper than Turk. Also we wouldn't be wasting a pick on someone who most likely wouldn't make the team anyway. We'd be one of the only teams who's 7th round pick makes the roster. Also how many times are you going to get the chance to draft someone named Zoltan.
I'm definitely ok with your identification of needs and will give my thoughts below. Still early for mocks but fun ain't it?
1. Haden is my pick for now but I think DR will be a Texan. This will give Haden & Quinn time to develop.
2. Nate Allen 50-50 he will be avail when we draft in 2nd. I like this pick especially if DT has been ruled out by draft as a "need". For some reason, I think of Allen as more SS but he has decent speed and can tackle. He does fit Smithiac's view of a safety that can play either. WIlson is rebounding very well from his injury. Allen link http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=FS
NOTE: he was chosen for East-West and Senior bowl 2010. I get a lot of info rom those games.
3. Johnson gone before we pick & might be converted to LT. Sergio Render is a big really strong guard with knock down power but read the Sept 26th note that he needs to step up. Of course he had gone against Suh the week before and their QB was sacked 4 times. Render is recovering from a pectoral tear. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=OG
As I think Studdard, Myers, Caldwell will be the middle Oline, I am drafting guards a bit lower to be my backups in training.
4.Austin is my pick but your comment on Studdard is way off from what I see and hear. He is really stepping up on run blocking (Buffalo of course) and Colts will be a big test. Kubes likes him, too.
5. Dixon in 5th? I rate him higher but like the pick if there.
5B. Jolly no thoughts on him but Walters has him rated as 21st tackle just ahead of UT's Ulatowksi. NFLDraftScout.com has Ulatowski rated but not Senior Jolley. http://walterfootball.com/draft2010OT.php