Re: Half-Season Texans Mock/Wishlist
I threw this mock together real quick this evening but I think that it addresses most of our needs with the exception of DT that I think we should address in FA since we've proven we're not real good with DT's in the draft.
1. Joe Haden-CB, if Dunta leaves then replacing him will be our top priority since no one that's currently on our roster is good enough to step up as a #1 CB. Haden has all the physical skills he just needs a little coaching on technique and some experience.
2. Nate Allen-FS, Morgan Burnett will most likely be gone in the 1st round and Allen has been moving up draft boards alot lately. I want a good coverage FS/ballhawk.
3. Mike Johnson-OG, might be available and might not if he's gone then the pick is Sergio Render-OG. Both are obvious upgrades to the interior O-line that are much needed.
4. Thomas Austin-OG, should be available and we need a massive talent upgrade on the interior O-line. If he doesn't start by mid year then he should at least be a quality backup. Adding 2 OG's should move Myers and Brisiel to backup rolls where they belong and move Studdard and White off the team where they belong.
5. Anthony Dixon-RB, a power RB who's not perfect but who is in the 5th round. He'll need some work on quickness, speed, and cutting ability but he's got potential.
5. Kyle Jolly-OT, the only depth at OT we've got is Rashad Butler and Tutan Reyes (who?). Jolly has got good size and has started lots of games for N.C. and should have the ability to be a utility O-lineman and decent depth at OT.
6. LeGarrette Blount-RB, I know about the punch and discipline issue with him, I watched the Boise St. game. This pick will be very dependent on how he has handled himself since the incident and on his interviews. If he hasn't changed his attitude then we pick someone else obviously, but if he's had no further incidents, interviews well and seems to have changed his attitude then he's the pick. The guy has talent, size, and power and someone will give him a chance in the NFL. Also in the 6th round it's a very low risk high reward situation. If he plays well great and if he doesn't then we haven't lost anything since most 6th round picks don't make their respective teams rosters anyway.
7. Zoltan Mesko-P, he's big, a good punter, and much younger and cheaper than Turk. Also we wouldn't be wasting a pick on someone who most likely wouldn't make the team anyway. We'd be one of the only teams who's 7th round pick makes the roster. Also how many times are you going to get the chance to draft someone named Zoltan.