View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009   #50
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This week's least surprising news - Bud name Vince Starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
I know I am stepping out there with this one. Perhaps it will never happen. It is not inevitable by any means. But I remember watching him throw the ball in college, and his accuracy was excellent. In fact, he finished his senior season with the #3 passer rating in the NCAA. And he had been #1 for most of the later part of the season - he just fell a couple spots after the last game.

Vince can throw accurately, but your point about his having trouble reading defenses is well taken. As far as I can see, he seems to have the intellectual capacity to learn this if he will work at it. But he has not demonstrated that level of determination so far.

However, it is amazing what a season or two on the bench can do for your ability to focus. Just think about Alex Smith this last weekend. He had been benched, and there was even talk during camp about him getting cut, but when he finally got his shot against the Texans, he made the most of it. I will not be surprised at all if Vince Young does the same thing.

But then again, I would not be willing to bet money on it happening either.
Young had a phenomenal college career, and he deserves all the props he gets for what he accomplished. And from that perspective, I can certainly see why the hype existed and why so many were sold on the guy.

With regards to his accuracy, I attribute it to two things: consistently great pass protection and inferior coverage. He gets neither in the NFL on a consistent basis, so his tendency has been to run instead of developing his pocket presence.

But I never say never (unless it's rooting for the Titans, of course), so you could be right that he has matured on the bench and used his time off wisely to fine tune and develops the skills he will need to be a solid NFL QB. Time will tell, because we will see him in action soon.