View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009   #48
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11948 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This week's least surprising news - Bud name Vince Starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Respectfully agree to disagree about VY, Mojo. The dude can't read defenses and has horrible passing accuracy, which are two basics for being a great QB. I'm not sure how much of that can be developed at the pro level, since most of the greats already have those abilities upon being drafted and just refine them as pros.

If anything, I think VY could be a Trent Dilfer-esque QB (i.e. game manager, except with running ability) with all of the applicable hard work, film study, and dedication that the position requires. At this point, there is a big question mark if he even has the heart to make that kind of long-term commitment.
I know I am stepping out there with this one. Perhaps it will never happen. It is not inevitable by any means. But I remember watching him throw the ball in college, and his accuracy was excellent. In fact, he finished his senior season with the #3 passer rating in the NCAA. And he had been #1 for most of the later part of the season - he just fell a couple spots after the last game.

Vince can throw accurately, but your point about his having trouble reading defenses is well taken. As far as I can see, he seems to have the intellectual capacity to learn this if he will work at it. But he has not demonstrated that level of determination so far.

However, it is amazing what a season or two on the bench can do for your ability to focus. Just think about Alex Smith this last weekend. He had been benched, and there was even talk during camp about him getting cut, but when he finally got his shot against the Texans, he made the most of it. I will not be surprised at all if Vince Young does the same thing.

But then again, I would not be willing to bet money on it happening either.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote