View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005   #44
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
I'm glad you and some others have so much confidence in this line as everyone else I talk to does not along with almost every commentator and teams in the league.
You talked to almost every commentator and team in the league? And you didn't summarize it for us and post it here?

Look, I understand you're concerned with what has (and/or hasn't) been done with the OL this off season but I have serious doubts that you have heard "almost every commentator" out there speak their mind on the Houston Texans OL and it's problems. Teams around the league are concentrating on their own problem areas. Nobody's holding press conferences to talk about someone elses offensive line. I call speculation and made up evidence here.

Quote:
Stats dont lie - 49 sacks last year is an eye-sore and to say everything is hunky dorey - we dont need to draft - we dont need to trade - we just need to give them time to gel more. IMO this is just a smoke and mirrors company line they are trying to pass-off on us fans and Mr. Mcnair because the truth is the FO and coaches are scared of what will happen.
Stats do lie. Stats lie all the time. Stats are some of the most misleading things you can point to if you look at them all by themselves. Example: In 2002 David Carr was planted 76 times. Obviously his offensive line gave up 76 sacks right? None of those sacks could have been as a result of DC running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage could they? None of them could have been a result of DC holding on to the ball too long could they?

When your team gives up 76 sacks there's more to it than merely a problem on the OL. You put a veteran QB back there all year instead of a rookie and that first year line would have given up high 40's to low 50's. They wouldn't have been any better but their QB would have known how to deal with the pressure. Stats are one aspect of this. You can start with stats but in your argument here you completely ignore every other factor that causes the result you see on the field. EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY FACTOR aside from the sacks. You ignore the addition of Todd Wade who was in his first year here. You ignore the fact that Chester Pitts was playing LG for the first time in his life. You ignore the fact that Seth Wand was starting at LT for the first time ever (Here, at this level). You ignore injuries and the effect of an ineffectual running game over the first half of the season.

You're looking at part of a picture and drawing the wrong conclusion from it.

Quote:
Scared for their jobs because IMO - They know they have blown it and are now in full-blown CYA mode in reagrds to the O-line problem they have - thus they are NOW trying to bring in more FA players and address the line - after the fact - after 3 years of poor play, after 3 drafts of players have passed by, after 3 off-seasons and FA time has passed - They now address the issue. - This just blows my mind they get to keep their jobs.

Trust me I understand the 5 year plan and my thinking is its -

To little - too late

I could say a lot more and re-iterate past points, but until the regular season gets here - I'm just specualting like everyone else and I hope it dont turn out like I am speculating or it's going to be a long, long year
I've seen almost no sign of anyone being scared for their job or having shifted into "full blown CYA mode". I see the Texans coaches and GM going about their methodical business of making this team better.

Watch the line when the season starts. Improvement does come from time together where the OL is concerned. It's not smoke and mirrors and it's not a lie they're passing off. If that's the case then it's a lie that's been told since the dawn of modern football. Every major overhaul of an offensive line costs something in terms of efficiency. The Texans have made major changes to their line every season since they took the field. Last year was no different.

Enhance your calm man, it's going to be ok. Actually it's going to better than ok. It's going to be pretty damned good. I'm keeping copies of all these threads just so I can go back at the end of the year and hunt down all the chicken littles to ask them how they feel. This is going to be fun.