View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009   #156
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
You beat me to this.
Marty Schottenheimer SHOULD be the next coach of this team. True, he can't seem to find a way to get a team over the hump to win a championship, but he knows the NFL. He knows how to build a team, perhaps as good as anyone in the league.
Marty would, at the very least, put a respectable team on the field within a short period of time.
His style might be boring, but there's no doubt that he could build a very good team in this town.

IMO, don't even think about Cower. He'll want to install a 3-4 defense, which would take a long time, and doesn't suit the skillset of Mario at all.
I just don't think you can bring in a coach that would basically scrap everything you have on D, including the best player. It would take several seasons to transition this team to a decent 3-4.
I like Marty but he may be a little long in the tooth. He would be an improvement and he almost assuredly has a better network of coaches to pull from than Kubiak has proven to have. Marty would be fine with me in the end though.

Why not think about Cowher? is it because of his Carolina connection? i understand that and I would have Carolina as a favorite over Houston to secure his services, but the whole 4-3 v 3-4 question, just doesn't hold water.

Other teams have changed schemes and its not some huge evolution. Look at Green Bay last night. They ran a 4-3 last year and they brought in a proven commodity with proven track record of DC success (Capers) and they switched to 3-4. They didn't look too bad last night. Multiple sacks, big interception returns, and put pressure on Capers all last night. If a team like the Packers can do it, why not the Texans? It isn't that big of a change.

Lord knows our current scheme and talent aren't getting the job done.

I am not saying Cowher is coming to Houston, but to exclude ourselves from consideration because of a bunch of assumptions is a disservice to our team imho.