View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009   #53
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bud looking pretty bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Really? Thats 31250 to 37500 a game at 80 games. Thats about right. I would still say that the Astros rank third in this city.

Or maybe its just me. I do only watch baseball when I am having a hard time sleeping.
yeah, I'm a football fan, and a casual baseball fan and not much of a basketball fan.

But this is a football town, without a doubt. So should there be any doubt that we would have eventually built the Oilers a new crib? Obviously, if this city was willing to pony up for the two lesser sports (in addition to Reliant Stadium), you have to admit that it was just a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I am not blaming the fans solely. I am just saying we had a part in it. If 100k people would of stormed the city, crowding the streets and pretty much shutting down the city, then we would have the Houston Oilers in some capacity and we would be having Blazing Arrow over for dinner and meeting the family.

Instead, Bud left, we cheered, and then got pist when the NFL said they would not come back to Houston.

And what reason would Bud of had to think that the opinion of the public was going to change and build a new stadium? The Mayor said no, Eckles said no, the Rodeo said no, the sports writers sold us on the fact that we didnt need one, and we the people said no. How many no's does one person need to get?
TB did a great reply, so I won't repeat.

But, the key to all those "no votes" was that Bud wanted it his way and his way only. He was not willing to compromise or work with the powers that be in this town. I guess you can justify a divorce because your new girlfriend puts out more than your wife does? (this is a joke, man, but you get the point )

As far as fans sharing the blame, remember this was before the internet was everywhere and by the time that fans could even organize, Bud was gone. We did not have the luxury of an NFL team with a history going back to 1946 and multiple owners. This was an old AFL team with one owner, so the comparison to Cleveland just doesn't hold water. Cleveland fans were lobbying TO KEEP THE RECORDS, and Bud had stated point blank that this was his company and he would never give us those records. Do ya' see how this is an apples and oranges comparision?

And to be honest, I do not remember any "cheering" that we lost the Houston Oilers. I remember a whole lot of depressed football fans that lost a passion that ended up bringing the Houston Texans into existence. You know history does not happen in a vacuum, so if this city didn't care about the NFL (i.e. Los Angeles), we wouldn't have a team today. It was only a matter of a few years between losing a team and getting a new one.

I do not recall the fans ever having a voice in the matter or ever getting a chance to vote before Bud had already signed on the dotted line with Nashville. How fans or anyone else can be blamed (or even share the blame) with Bud Adams' epic greed is something that I honestly will never understand.

p.s. It's fun chattin' with ya', TR! Absolutely no hard feelings involved, just so you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
[not being a smartass] It's called negotiating. It works much better than picking up your ball and going home. One thing revisionists seem to keep forgetting is that the Mayor eventually offered a proposal for a stadium. Adams rejected it.
Thank you. A lot of folks forget that Bud was offered a deal and turned it down. The dude's greed and massive ego seemed to prevent any willingness to work with those in charge, and honestly, I have often wondered if there wasn't just a little bit of spite involved with that jerk's decision to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Even before that fray, rumors of a new stadium started in the very late '80' to early '90's. Finally in '92 or '93 it was the Mayor who threw out the idea that a radical stadium proposal was on the table. It was an attempt to see who would be interested and supportive. As Herv mentioned yesterday, Adams and Alexander were both interested, but Adams insisted on being the main lease holder, essentially making Alexander his *****. Finally McLane offered a proposal for a $ 95,000,000.00 renovation to the Astrodome. $95,000,000 is a lot for a renovation especially back in '94, but that would have given Bud the luxury boxes that he argued was what he needed.

So in the end, if that's pushing Bud to possum holler - so be it.
I honestly think that Bud would have had a stadium deal in place by 2000, especially with the team that Fisher was building at that time. Bud's timing was way off and greed was clouding that tiny little voice inside of him that may or may not have existed to urge him be a good person. (his inner devil probably killed that conscience a long time ago!)