View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009   #42
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bud looking pretty bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
80's? 90's? I was there - every game (the exceptions being 86 & 87 - I was overseas). As far as passionate Oiler fans, I can remember a couple of raucous crowds in the Oilers final year here. Not every game that season, but a couple still drew 45 to 50k. I remember corps having to step in to avoid blackouts too, but I attribute that to something someone mentioned earlier in the thread - This is a transplant city. Ya know what though? it didn't phase me a bit, because instead of worrying about whether the game was going to be televised, I was wondering why the chicken necked, POS wouldn't let us tailgate (we even got busted for throwing a football - but that's for another thread).

Very few people like Yankee and his "The Mrs" join in the passion for a team of their adopted city. I wish more were like Lindsay and Ryan.

Going back to my original point, Bud Adams is the epitomy of corporate welfare. This city, hell this county (the Astrodome is owned by Harris County) gave and gave and gave to that POS. What did he do in return, **** us! So **** him!! Oklahoman POS!!!
Don't get mad at me now. I didn't say if only Texan_Bill had attended more games Bud would never of moved the team. I was a die hard fan as well, just couldn't afford to go to games. I even wrote my high school English papers on what the Oilers needed to improve the team and go to the Super Bowl.

I am just saying that Houston as a whole played a part in the Oilers leaving.

I still find it funny that Drayton told the city what a fine facility the Dome was only to watch Bud leave and then tell us if the Astros did not draw a million in attendance and build him a new stadium he was going to move them to Washington. And we complied. For a baseball team. Nobody cares about baseball.

Bud Adams was and forever will be a lightning rod for bad press He is like the TO of owners. No matter what he does its wrong.

And don't get me wrong. I am not saying I want to give the man a hug. At the end of the day he still took my team away. I am just saying as a city we all could of handled things a bit differently.

But on the bright side at least its not an Oiler stretching out but falling one yard short in the Super Bowl.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote