View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009   #37
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 273484 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bud looking pretty bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Awesome post, Herv, and sums up the history of Bud Adams in Houston very well. I can't really add anything to it after reading it twice. Rep!

I hear ya', and I'm mostly the same way. Herv and I attended an Earl Campbell autograph event recently, and I think seeing #34 in his wheelchair brought back a lot of those fond memories. I ended up buying a couple of Earl figurines for my boys, and I cannot deny that there is a small sense of nostalgia when looking at the old Oilers unis as they are represented on the Tyler Rose.

I understand about the records and franchise ownership, and don't really care that they are not in Houston. But, I think they should have been retired with the Oilers logo and the Titans start fresh with new records. It is disingenuous to fans of both cities to drag "franchise records" from one place to another, IMO. But that's just my take.

This is true, but he is willing to force a new head coach to deal with wasting a year trying to improve a busted QB.

True but the new head coach did say he could win with that QB didn't he? Then we need to know if Kubiak had to say that to get the job or if Bob McNair would have hired him if he'd said "I can't do anything with this guy. He's a nice young man but he's not going to win in the NFL".

I've often wondered about that.

Bob McNair has been a nube owner and he's made a lot of mistakes early on. I've been very critical of him at various times but his team understands PR, maybe even too well. We all share the same refrain that I think we got from Vinny about the Texans being a Public Relations firm with a football division. Sometimes you just wish they'd be a little less "Has that been cleared by our lawyers" about things but a trip down the Bud Adams version of Memory Lane puts a stop to that right away. The Texans keep everything under their hat which can be frustrating at times but it beats the hell out of having your GM walk around with his pants down around his ankles.