View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bud looking pretty bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I am right there with you in terms of hurt feelings. I went to every home game that last year too.

But what I am saying is that we were (as fans) were sold on the fact that we did not need a new stadium. The sport writers had big write ups on how great the dome was, Drayton McClain JR. praised the dome and said we did not need another stadium in this town, Eckles didnt back it, and Turkey neck told us we were not going to consider it and in no way was Adams really going to move the team.

We had 70 people show up for the save the Oilers rally.

We were all to blame for that mess.
I'm past "hurt feelings". It's simple to me: I have absolutely NO RESPECT for a man like Bud Adams, who lacks integrity and honor. His primary driving force in life is GREED.

As far as new stadiums are concerned, imatexan hit the nail on the head. We got two brand new stadiums and a big new arena to prove that this city supports it's teams WHEN OWNERS ARE COMMITTED TO THE CITY. This is the big difference. Bud was never committed to this city and tried to leverage his greed by holding the team hostage whenever he could. He actually broke his lease to go play in a freakin' college stadium in order to capitalize on the $$$ to be made.

If the greedy bastard had any foresight and patience, he would be running Reliant Stadium and this entire city would be mourning Steve McNair while celebrating 50 years of Houston Oilers right now.

But we are not doing those things, and it is because of one man and his unbelievable greed. Nobody ran that fat turd out of town. That decision is his alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Bud Adams leaving Houston was the best thing that happened to Houston Football even though it sucked for all those years. If Adams hadn't moved, we'd still be going to games in the Astrodome and there would still be ZERO tailgating.
I agree in principle, but disagree that we would still be playing in the Astrodome. If Bud Adams had been willing to actually work with civic leaders (i.e. like Bob McNair did), he would have gotten a shiny new stadium like all the other sports team owners eventually did.

Tailgating...not sure. It's speculation, either way, but yeah, we could still be in the dark about that fantastic football pastime. So I can't argue with you there. That's a big plus and part of the overall great atmosphere of Texans games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Mother Nature is undefeated, untied and unbeatable.
Yep. The Great Equalizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Its easy to be passionate when your team is winning. But how about the losing? Texan fans are head and shoulders more passionate than Oiler fans.
Sorry, man, but this is just wrong. 2-14 showed very clearly that Houston football fans are just like anywhere else. We might have had 5,000-10,000 at some of those games, and even less that stayed to 0:00 on the clock.

Remember, the "consecutive sellouts" that is being bragged about by the Texans FO is due to one thing: PSLs and the related requirement to renew season tickets to keep those PSLs. The Oilers most likely would not have experienced those blackouts under today's circumstances.