View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009   #29
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bud looking pretty bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
TB, being an Oiler diehard as you were, I have a few questions for you.. Now I am a Yankee myself, so I didn't much know about the passion of the fans here, I was more so into the Giants. What year was it that after the playoff loss that the Dome was packed to welcome the team home? That picture you posted was something else.
I am not TB however like many was a diehard. That was the 1979-80 season after the loss to the Steelers and the controversial Mike Renfro play. I will never forget someone hanging the ref doll from the rafters. I was around 10 years old and was there with my mom and friends. We got there early however I will never forget leaving the dome and seeing how many cars of people couldn't get in. The traffic jam was crazy.

Quote:

What I did hear is that is wasn't BA who wouldn't allow tailgating, it was the HSA who wouldn't, as they wanted the revenue inside to be more, again, it is what I heard, so I am not sure who or what side to believe on that, but it was said that BA was not against it.
Regardless, the no tailgating deal played a big part in the demise of the Oilers IMO. Just look at the difference between the Texans and Oilers. I am convinced if Bud would have stuck it out and been the one getting Reliant (with allowed tailgating) the enthusiam would have been the same or even more so for the Oilers because of the long history with the city. Every NFL city I have lived in that has great tailgating has a passionate fanbase. It just goes a long way in forming a passionate fan culture IMO. Of course the booze has the most to do with that.

Quote:

Man, I do feel for you old Oiler fans, BA was/is a lying bastard that even I know to be true..But being a transplant, the Texans are my #1A team and NY is my #1B team, good thing they are in different conferences !
Yeah, it really sucked losing your team like that as an Oilers fan. It also sucked having them choke in the postseason every year and finding every possible way to blow games. They haven't changed one bit so it must still suck to be an Oilers now Titans fan.

I did the opposite of you, I grew up in Houston and moved to New York when I was still in school. I became a Giants fan however the Oilers remained my #1 until they moved. The Giants are my "B" team also and I agree that is only possible because they are in different conferences. BTW, the Giants looked strong last night.

BTW, Friday will mark one of those few times where I actually root for the Cowboys.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote