View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009   #67
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY says he will be in the HOF and the next black QB to win SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
i emigrated here in my teens. Went to UH; attended a few away games vs UT & TAMU during the Ware era. I felt the contempt of the crowd - i get it.

But really? When it's an in-state school vs an out-of-state (especially a big-time program)***? A TAMU, TT, UT, TCU win only legitimizes the football being played in our state. Rispek!

Perhaps i'm ignorant of the schools' histories vs each other; some Auburn v Alabama dirty pool type stuff.

*** Cases affecting BCS rankings excluded.
If interested, you should read some of the history about the the ol' Southwest Conference. It was a great conference. I know that you mentioned you were here during the Ware days, but that was towards the end of the SWC. It basically fell apart shortly after those asshats in Arkansas jumped ship and SMU was busted.

The conference started off consisting of teams from only three states until the mid 20's. Then the conference consisted of all teams being from Texas except one - Arkansas. That's a lot of great football coming from the state of Texas.

As you read the history, some of the names involved are incredible. Names like Earl Campbell, Darrell Royal, Paul "Bear" Bryant, John David Crow, Hayden Fry, Sammy Baugh, Doak Walker, Lance Alworth, Bill Yoeman and on and on and on.... Good stuff.