View Single Post
Old 07-05-2004   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I just went to players and I counted 95 people on the Texans list. Because of eye sight I might have miscounted by one or two, but it seems to me there are more people on the list than you think. Again, what does that mean? Must we get rid of people before the start to TC?
Good question. I couldn't find the info on NFL.com , but here is an old ESPN.com article that verifies the training camp roster limit at 80.
Quote:
"The roster limits cut down what you can do in camp, so you can't be as physical as you would like," Falcons coach Dan Reeves said. "You are worried to death you might get somebody hurt."

Coaches worry about the injuries. Because most teams stretch their salary caps to sign players, it's hard to replace those lost by injuries. Coaches worry about how to run practices when the roster limit is 80.

"With the Cowboys, we used to bring 140 to 160 players to camp," Reeves said. "You used camp to get in shape. Now, if a player comes to camp not in shape, he's probably so far behind he's not going to make the team. That changes the intensity of your practices."
I know that the NFL Europe players get roster exemptions, so that may explain why there are 10 or so more players over the roster limit. The remaining 5 or 6 guys over the limit I'm not so sure of. Maybe guys like Seth Payne and Ramon Walker aren't counted because they finished the season on the IR list? If I come across any additional info on this, I'll let you know
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote