View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004   #30
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

-babin isnt just a superior physical talent...he's also a high character guy wich is hard to find.

-based on what we did in the draft its obvious the texans had high rankings on upper echelon players and late round guys. seems to me they were not impressed with many of the mid draft prospects---hence the trade forward and trading back for additional late round picks.

-we didnt give up anything in next years draft wich i think is an indirect bonus. its harder to evaluate those players. this year we had tabs on everybody and obviously we'rent impressed with mid level players.

-we didnt get a player or 3 with questionable talent who MIGHT compete for a starting jobs this year or next. the texans went after someone who would make an impact in as short a time as possible. with the depth we finally have, do we want to pin our hopes on players who will more then likely be depth for a couple of seasons before they even compete for a starting job?

-a quality 3-4 olb/de to fit our system is hard to find to begin with. let alone one with babin's potential and character. and as i've emphatically insisted in another post olb may be the most crucial position in our defense.

-we had to pay a division rival to get the player we wanted. did you expect that to come cheaply?

-if your at this site your probably a hardcore fan. if your the average joe or even a free agent, 2 first round selections grabs your attention. how many average fans pay real attention to mr. irrelevant? this move catches your attention...and probably helps the recruiting process in free agency. this move proves in big bold letters if our managment wants you they'll do what it takes to get their man. the rest of the nfl took notice. our managment is proactive.

-as an additional bonus obviously money wasnt an issue. thats gotta count for something.

right or wrong, initially i thought we overpaid to. but realistically what kind of impact was a 3rd or 4th round pick going to have on this season? babin will have an impact. good or bad thats a gaurante.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote