View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009   #24
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Z-Report Final Mock Draft and 1st and 2nd Round Targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
That's a really, really impressive mock up to our pick. The only picks he missed were due to two discrete occurrences:

1. The Jets managing to trade up all the way from 17. How could anyone know that the Browns were willing to accept 30 cents on the dollar to trade down 12 spots? That pushed Raji out of the fifth pick to the ninth with Crabtree falling from the ninth to the tenth.

2. Lance, along with everyone else, underestimated the rank stupidity of the Broncos. Let's see, they have the league's worst defense and are converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4, so they basically need a whole new group of defensive players. They have a huge glut of RBs because of the injury epidemic last year and their weird buying binge in free agency--so what do they do? Draft another RB with the 12th pick.
This is the way I think about it:

McDaniels was hired because of his ability to run an offense, so that is what he put a high priority on. If next season the Broncos are playing terrible offensively, than he is probably going to be looked at as a bit of a failure, even if the defense improves. He will most likely be judged by the play of his offense more than the defense.

If they are playing good offense next year, Denver will give McDaniels a bit more time than if they weren't. I can understand why McDaniels and his crew approached the draft as they did. They understand that you are judged very quickly in the NFL nowadays, and if you were brought in as an "offensive guru" than your offense better show some promise, or your out of there.

McDaniels obviously didn't like what they had at RB. A dangerous RB that can do it all is what his offensive scheme entails. That is what you get with Moreno. They lose nothing by cutting those other RBs. The only guy that really is worth keeping in his offensive scheme is Selvin Young.

Trading their 1st next year for Alphonso Smith may not be that bad of a decision. It isn't like McDaniels has Bill Bellichek job security. He may not even be able to use that draft pick next year, and Alphonso Smith is one hell of a football player.

I guess my point is that I don't think Denver was as crazy as everyone else thinks in this draft. Getting rid of Cutler is a different story, and honestly after making the mistake of going after Cassell, it didn't really look like they had any other choice.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote