View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005   #9
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
The organization has taken dramatic steps to elevate the play of the OL by
drafting a center in the 5th round and signing a couple of other undrafted college OLineman. I'm of course being sarcastic, because the team has basically done little more than squat in the offseason to improve O line play
ffor 2005. I dunno...one of their stategies is to have DC take a shorter, quicker drop when passing and to me that's just an admission of the lines
basic weakness. Its a little bit like the Dutch boy sticking his finger in the damn to prevent the flood, if one is familiar with that fable.
I agree. The team admitted that the offensive line was one of their areas of focus needing improvement going into the offseason. So far this offseason they haven't done anything in the free agent market and didn't draft anyone there until the 5th round. So you're right they haven't done squat to address an admitted need. So, at this point, CC has 2 options on how to spin this thing:

1) "Cra.p, we are still stuck with those same 5 stooges from last year on the offensive line. Hopefully Carr can survive somehow another year."

2) "We're confident that new blocking schemes and the added year of experience will allow our unit of fine offensive lineman to gel into a cohesive group in 2005".

It appears they have chosen the more politically correct option 2.

To me, an important point here is this. Both the fans on this board and the team recognized the offensive line as a problem area. But you can only fix a subset of your problem areas and you first fix those areas where you place the highest priority. It seems obvious the team considered the offensive line problem lower in the pecking order of problems to be fixed than many of the fans on this board. That's why you are hearing the frustration you do. Personally, I would have placed the offensive line issue much higher on the pecking order than the Texans appear to have placed it. Again, personally, I wish Casserly and Capers would for just 5 minutes stop worrying about/tinkering with/trading out/spending time on our group of linebackers and spend that 5 minutes thinking about what to do about our offensive line. In fact, Casserly, Capers and staff met last week to talk about our team and I got a sneak peak at the afternoon agenda:

1:00pm-1:15pm Opening remarks
1:15pm-1:30pm Discuss draft choices and plan for rookie camp
1:30pm-3:00pm Linebacker discussion-what additional changes are needed
3:00pm-3:30pm Defense (ex. linebackers)
3:30pm-3:45pm Qb's/Rb's/WR's
3:45pm-3:55pm Special teams
3:55pm-4:00pm Toro/cheerleaders/offensive line (scratch this topic if we are running behind schedule)
4:00pm-5:00pm Special issues re: David Carr (update on breakthrough technology-high strength padding for ribs, joints, etc.)
5:00pm Adjourn
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote