View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009   #18
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Final Cut Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I'm not sure how you make this arguement, between the lines, with myself

I'm not projecting Aaron Maybin to the Texans with the 15th pick @ DE. I'm projecting him as a 4-3 SLB for Texans with 15th pick. is that clear enoough
Man, I'm so confused......sorry here we go
Quote:
now to specifics. I think Aaron has got some bad advise trying to make weight to play DE @ the next level, maybe someday as his body naturally matures but right now his focus should be on first step quickness off the edge in blitzing situations from OLB, tackling & coverage skills. yes he is developmental but then so was Amobi Okoye & Texans took him #10 overall. very similar player @ the LB position who could kick down in passing situations. Like Okoye he is very smart, hard work ethic, good off field character traits with elite talent that needs to be coached out of him. which brings me up to the PRIMARY REASON: He fits what Frank Bush wants from his linebackers, unrelenting/high motor, aggressive upfield pass rush ability with elite speed, a factor missing from Texans defense since franchise inception. He has the physical build & body language of a LB to me not a DE.
I agree with everything here except I think Maybin's mindset is DE based, not LB which is why Maybin would be such a huge project at OLB over a guy like Matthews or Barwin and much moreso than Okoye who is only a project because he's young not because he lacks skill sets for the time being.
Quote:
Note: this is not my pick (meaning who I would want) its who I think the Texans want, & that there is a good chance he is available @ #15. I would prefer the Texans to trade down. there is no single guy in this draft I really, really would like to see drafted as a Texan, but there are several I would welcome who can really help this franchise move forward. I tried really hard to resist adding trade down scenero in my final Mock Draft & that depends on who/how far down they could trade down. I have two favorites for a trade down scenero, on defensive side who I like more than Maybin but @ the same time are more value picks a little later, they are @

LB Clint Sintim, Virginia, 6026 256 also has pass rushing skills does not have elite 1st step like a Maybin but is very aggressive in run support, shedding tacklers, high motor, hard worker with great LB mentality & off field character.

CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forrest, 5090 193 competitive, productive & instinctive skill sets. Less than ideal height, sure but his ability to position his body to out effort the WR is what makes him such a playmaker. great attitude/work ethic.

I would be very happy with either prospect late 1st rd. & pick up another pick or two
Yup. The closer we get to it the more I think they're trading from the 15th spot. Either up to grab a guy who falls or down to get more picks. I'm not so big on the 2nd tier of OLB types but I'd much rather have Al Smith than a lot of guys including the top tier CBs. If we trade down I think it's pretty much BPA with little regard to team need. If we stay at 15 we'll be picking for need.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote