View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Final Cut Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
A guy who is starting to look maxed out, cartoon-ish bubbly muscles style, at 250 is not big enough IMO to play 43 DE. Clearly a speed rusher, I wonder how well he holds the run and how well he tackles since that will be at least half of his job if not more. At LB I think he'd be a monster though the nuance of the position would have to be drilled into him. Coverage might be tough but he's got sideline to sideline speed and he seems pretty smart so I think he could do it. His position on the field is in question much like Matthews, though I think Matthews tends to lean more towards LB where Maybin leans toward DE.

My comparison is VGholston. Lots of hype, lots of muscles, little game.
I'm not sure how you make this arguement, between the lines, with myself

I'm not projecting Aaron Maybin to the Texans with the 15th pick @ DE. I'm projecting him as a 4-3 SLB for Texans with 15th pick. is that clear enoough

now to specifics. I think Aaron has got some bad advise trying to make weight to play DE @ the next level, maybe someday as his body naturally matures but right now his focus should be on first step quickness off the edge in blitzing situations from OLB, tackling & coverage skills. yes he is developmental but then so was Amobi Okoye & Texans took him #10 overall. very similar player @ the LB position who could kick down in passing situations. Like Okoye he is very smart, hard work ethic, good off field character traits with elite talent that needs to be coached out of him. which brings me up to the PRIMARY REASON: He fits what Frank Bush wants from his linebackers, unrelenting/high motor, aggressive upfield pass rush ability with elite speed, a factor missing from Texans defense since franchise inception. He has the physical build & body language of a LB to me not a DE.

Note: this is not my pick (meaning who I would want) its who I think the Texans want, & that there is a good chance he is available @ #15. I would prefer the Texans to trade down. there is no single guy in this draft I really, really would like to see drafted as a Texan, but there are several I would welcome who can really help this franchise move forward. I tried really hard to resist adding trade down scenero in my final Mock Draft & that depends on who/how far down they could trade down. I have two favorites for a trade down scenero, on defensive side who I like more than Maybin but @ the same time are more value picks a little later, they are @

LB Clint Sintim, Virginia, 6026 256 also has pass rushing skills does not have elite 1st step like a Maybin but is very aggressive in run support, shedding tacklers, high motor, hard worker with great LB mentality & off field character.

CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forrest, 5090 193 competitive, productive & instinctive skill sets. Less than ideal height, sure but his ability to position his body to out effort the WR is what makes him such a playmaker. great attitude/work ethic.

I would be very happy with either prospect late 1st rd. & pick up another pick or two
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote