View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009   #22
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Zierlein's Mock Draft - 4/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Too many people in the media & elsewhere have us taking matthews which leads me to believe that we're most likely taking someone else for whatever reason. Think about it..

2006- Reggie bush/ VY fever. We've rehashed this so much that's it's almost become unhealthy ......who do we take?...Mario.

2007 -before & after the trade up with atlanta we were all over the place; Leon Hall, Laron Landry, Darrell Revis, Patrick Willis. Even though all but 1 of these guys were available...who do we take?...Amobi, the guy thought to be gone by the time we were up.

2008 - Most everyone agreed we'd take a tackle. Most had professed it would most likely be Clady, Williams or Otah. A run on tackles leaves us with only Otah when our original pick at 18 pops up. we trade down, Otah's taken at 19 & we're all . Then we think "oh wait, they must be targeting mendenhall since he continues to slide?" Uhh, no......who do we wind up taking?......Duane Brown, a tackle noone in the media or on messageboards had even considered b/c he was thought to be at best the 5th best tackle in the draft.

Thinking about this actually makes me kind of sad b/c i've beat my drum for Matthews from the beginning, but the smithiak draft history suggest that it's going to be someone else.
Great post. I think the Texans focus on character and personality a lot. Which makes them put guys higher on big boards than some.

So if they stay at 15, and Matthews is the 29th best player this year, I can see them taking him. Or if they drop down to the 20's again, I can see them plucking up a guy that some consider a mid to late 2nd pick. Say a William Moore or a Darius Butler.

When it all comes together like Mario, Amobi, Duane, I think it makes their decision a lot easier.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote