View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009   #35
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: You know why there is a hole at the top of the new Texas Stadium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The earlier post was directed to you but a moment of confusion on my part caused me to respond to the other poster in error. Sorry.
But I have to partially correct this comment because you're right but only in part. And it did certainly involve Love field and Southwest Airlines, but just as importantly it involved DFW airport and AMR, which is based in FTW while Southwest is based in Dallas. So the battle was drawn along the
lines of FTW/AMR/DFW vs Dallas/Southwest/Love. The Wright Amendment was enacted origionally by Congress to protect and promote DFW in its infancy vs the established Dallas airport. Afterall, as a full partner with Dallas the city of FTW was intensly interesed in the success of DFW airport as a way to promote its commercial interests. It had no airport of its own at the time as Dallas did. I know quite a bit about it because I was a Southwest shareholder back in the day.
As a FTW native you might want to check the whole history out sometime.
I knew as much, I just didn't want to go to far into detail and hijack. But you are right as to what happened. In the last few years of the fight though, it turned into really Southwest standing its ground and being independent and being able to use Love instead of following the herd to DFW, like most everyone did. In the beginning though there was only Love and the Ft. Worth airport, Greater Southwest. When they made the deal for DFW, Southwest wasn't established so they claimed not to have to make the trek to DFW.