View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: my mock draft for texans no linebacker 1st round

First of all good effort.

Secondly, a word of advice. I would strongly suggest you type your mock in word(spell check/grammar check it) and then copy and paste it over into the forum. This will allow you to spell check and utilize appropriate grammar. Also if you use a format like this it makes reading your mock a little easier:

1. Player Name, Position- University
Justification

Remember, you probably put some work into this mock and you want people to comment on your mock and the ideas you presented instead of having trouble wading through your picks.

That said I will comment on your mock.
1. I do not see the value in Beanie Wells for Houston. He is injury prone and we have no need for a starter. I would rather get a 3rd round RB that can spell relief for Slaton and use the 1st rounder in position of more value (such as CB, DE, OLB, or Oline). Id prefer D over offense but do not want to reach.

2. Byrd is a solid CB, but he comes across as a bad fit for our team. We need a more man coverage type of CB. Perhaps someone like Mark Parson with the second 4th round pick would be a better option. In round 2, I would consider BPA (of the 6 i previously listed) that we did not address in round 1 (with a preference for D). Perhaps Chris Baker from Hampton if we can trade down a bit would be a good choice here.

3. I like Hunt. I think with his good proday, he may not be available here but if he is, I say grab him. Good choice.

4a. I know a lot of people like Ringer. I am not one of those people. He is 203 lbs and ran a 4.5 at his proday. That is pretty slow. Compare that to the guy I like Andre Brown (224lbs and a 4.90 proday). So a man that is 21lbs heavier had in essence the same 40 time? Hmm. Brown has less tread and is a better blocker than Ringer.

4b. We have OD and just resigned Dressens to be his backup. I do not like the idea of another TE, especially not one so high. How about center A.Q. Shipley here? He is smart, athletic, and would be able to win the starting position in camp and never look back.

5. In the fifth you look for depth. I can't complain with your choice. I prefer Knox, but your guy could be fine too. I would actually prefer looking at D players Jonathan Casillas, Matt Shaughnessy, Zack Follett, or Vance Walker. I feel any of these guys could fill a need for depth at their positions (DE, OLB, or DT) for our porous D.

6. Quick blind stat test. Name the two QBs:
QB1: 10 starts, 8 tds, 8 ints, 2 fumbles
QB2: 6 starts, 6 tds, 10 ints, 2 fumbles

If you guessed that Orlovsky was QB1 and Sage was QB 2 you would be correct. Why can Orlovsky not be an adequate backup? Why is that a fact? He played decently for Detroit and had one boneheaded play. Sage played decently and had 1 boneheaded play. In fact I would argue that Orlovsky is fine as a backup(plus we have Brink) so what do we do with Harrell? Do we need 4 qbs on the team? I don't think so. I don't know who will be here but how about FS C.J. Spillman? Quan Cosby could be a nice choice here? How about Henry Melton or Roy Miller?(Yes I am a UT fan). I like BPA here.

7. I like the position choice. We can never have enough tackles. I could also go G Ray Feinga if he is there.

Overall not bad. I think we need several more D players and you only took 2(Byrd and Hunt).

Keep up the good work and consider my earlier comments.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011

Last edited by awtysst; 04-05-2009 at 06:37 PM.
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote