View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004   #43
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126709 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

i mentioned charlie clemons because he was projected at the beginning of last year to be one of our starting linebackers. i felt his contract might be more relevant to our debate because his contract was signed last year. my mistake ,however, because in truth he was only a marginal player to begin with. i was also aware that we we're still paying on him ,but his cap hit isnt nearly as bad as i thought it was...( only $975,000 according to your numbers ). fair enough.

as for what happens on the field...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Looks like a ripple effect straight on thru the D
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestin
I don't think anyone will disagree that the DL injuries played the biggest factor in our defense's plummet down the rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by __V__
Every postion group is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Bottom line is that if you don't have some good guys up front, the LB's are worthless.

all true and relevant statements wich i fully acknowledged and agreed with before your posts were even added to the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
the defensive line is a means by wich the linebackers can be succesfull no doubt.

and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
now, as we all know, players at no postion in any defense are independent of the rest of the team. obviously a team can have 2 all-world cbs that dont amount to anything if the qb typically has 6+ seconds to make a throw.

thank you for clarifying what hopefully everyone here already knew.
my notion throughout has been in some schemes one position might play a bigger role in the success of a team then another, as a whole no offense or defense can be superior if one position is a weak link. thats a given.

consider: no team will have a good rushing game without a solid offensive line ,and a quarterback who makes the defense respect the passing game.

now consider those same elements and include a truly great running back. that teams rushing production just went from good to great. why?

the running back.

all pices played signifigant roles ,but the additon of a great running back was the final determining factor. the biggest factor.

my contention has been that the diffrence between a good defense and a great defense will depend upon the production of our linebackers. thats where babin comes in. babin and wong specificaly will be counted on to pressure the quarterback more then any other players. and pressure is after all the staple of our defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Good debate.
agreed. right or wrong im enjoying this.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote