View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009   #24
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Earl Campbell was an Oiler not a Titan and will always be a Texan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
No the city and fans kept the name and records by petitioning the NFL. I guess some fans respect their history enough to try and keep it instead of abandoning the team in the last season in a city.
You were called out on a technicality. No grass roots campaign was going to keep the Oilers history,etc in Houston. The Ravens were never even going to happen unless Cleveland was awarded a new team immediately after. We were post Browns, Jags, and Panthers and and we were lucky to even get a team back in the end. The timing and variables were different. Thank You Bob McNair!!

Here are quotes from back in the day:
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/OILERSfo...ESSEEnews.html
Quote:
"I want fans to be able to compare Eddie George to Earl Campbell and ask who is the greatest runner in the team's history," said the NFL commissioner. "I want fans to compare Steve McNair with George Blanda and Warren Moon, to compare Tennessee's Bruce Matthews with the Oilers' Mike Munchak."
Quote:
Adams conceded the decision to change the name was an emotional one. His grandfather and father preceded him in the oil business. But once made, the emphasis returned to the future of the football team and the Tennessee franchise.
You just know deep down inside Dud knows he effed up. His heart is here, his family and his history are intertwined with the Oil business and the Houston Oilers, he is now stuck in Tenn with a 2nd rate stadium while Houston is back in the NFL in "his" town with a gem of a stadium, his legacy in his own town is burned to the ground, and its going to stay that way. I guarantee if he could push a button to fix it all.... he would.

Bud the stuck dud Adams.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote