View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004   #38
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
particularly intresting that u should forget names like clemens.
I forgot about Clemons because he was released May 14.

Quote:
also while u may comment on the fact that wong and sharpers contracts are skewered (perhaps u meant inflation?),
I didn't say they were "skewered," I said their numbers appear skewed in the comparison because of where they are in their contracts, i.e., they are in the final years of older contracts vs. the beginning years of newer fatter contracts like Walker and Smith (as both of us pointed out).

Quote:
we needed depth in the linebacking core ,and the texans drafted players to fill that need. we needed depth in the defensive line ,and the texans signed undrafted free agents.
The Texans signed two undrafted free agents at DL this year (Pili and Renteria) and neither has a very good chance to make the team unless there's injury issues again. After they signed Walker and Smith to veteran free agent contracts, DeLoach and Sears became backups. Ioane was already here as depth, as was Terrance Martin, Jason Davis and Jeremy Slechta. They still need one more guy to shore up depth IMO, especially at backup NT. Possibly a late camp cut from another team.

The Texans had only drafted one LB in two years with a realistic chance of making the team so it was time for them to look for an impact guy this year (some years, they just aren't there). They also signed a couple of undrafted free agent LBs as well (Marcus Bell and Anthony Dunn). In 2002, they drafted two DL's (Charles Hill early and Howard Green late) and neither made the team.

To this day, three years in, the vast majority of their defensive roster (at all positions) consists of players acquired through veteran free agency or the expansion draft (9 of 11 starters). The only projected starters acquired through the college draft are one LB and one DB drafted this year. That's just the way they close to fill the defensive roster, as opposed to the offense which is college draft heavy.

Quote:
while my pawn/queen analogy may be offbase in terms of money ,i do not feel thats the case on the field.
Using that logic we just terrribly overpaid a couple of d-linemen where we could have gotten by with much lesser talent (like Sears and DeLoach as starters maybe?). That's where we disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't see it that way. Good debate.

Last edited by aj.; 06-30-2004 at 08:17 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote