View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004   #36
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 119840 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

particularly intresting that u should forget names like clemens. and while babin has a nice contract its still only a 1st time contract (as is Peek). also while u may comment on the fact that wong and sharpers contracts are skewered (perhaps u meant inflation?), you forgot to mention inflation. in the real world that amounts to maybe 3% a year. in the sports industry its much higher. 66% of our starting defensive line was signed at this years going rate----at a time ,i might add ,when the market was willing to bare more then ussual due to the lack of quality defensive lineman available. if right now all of our defensive lineman we're on the open market (as 1 of them might as well have been and another was) i think they would all garner more then your average defensive linemen ,because in truth i think we have an above average defensive line now (for our system at least). i do not think we have a better then average group of linebackers. no, our defensive line dosent have incredible sack numbers ,but their production otherwise is better then par...foreman on the otherhand is not a better then average player. you forgot to mention that as well. when you account for the fact that foreman is only average ,babin is on a first time contract, inflation (sharper and wong on outdated contracts), and what the market bares (what positions are in quanity and scarce on the contract year), i'll happily side the way i do.

its not my intention to get into a financial dispute with you as i fully understand im outgunned against your incredible knowledge of money in the nfl. i respect your contributions to this site as well as hpf. thank you. but, while my pawn/queen analogy may be offbase in terms of money ,i do not feel thats the case on the field. the defensive line is a means by wich the linebackers can be succesfull no doubt. but the 3-4 defense ,in a scheme based solely on qb pressure, will not inherit any amount of respect until the linebacking core is legitamate. linebackers (in general) do make our system effective. babin is a part of that. lookback to the steelers and panthers. opposing teams didnt gameplan against the defensive line...they gameplanned against players like kevin green, lamar lathon, chad brown, and greg loyd for good reason. those linebackers made the defense fierce. they made the wheels turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Take a major part away from one, whether it be DL or LB, and the other suffers greatly. That should have been brutally obvious last season when we really had some pawns in there at DL. Using your analogy, the LBs should have still excelled with Steve Martin, Junior Ioane, and Jerry DeLoach as the front three (shudder).
i dont fully disagree with that ,but consider we also had the second worst secondary statistically in the nfl. and...as i mentioned, only an average linebacking core.

as for my mentioning the texans dedicating far more draft picks to the linebackers rather then the defensive line? wether they make the team or not its meant to illustrate a point: the texans understand what makes their defense succesfull. we needed depth in the linebacking core ,and the texans drafted players to fill that need. we needed depth in the defensive line ,and the texans signed undrafted free agents.

Last edited by powda; 06-30-2004 at 12:57 AM.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote