View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3dgaroo's Mock Draft vs. 0.1 beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
its funny how opinion varies around here on value @ OLB/DE position. I can't imagine Orakpo or Brown as anything but situational pass rushers in a 4-3. if they develop into something more, can hold up against the run, cover & overall round out their games thats a bonus & testamont to hard work inspired by excellent coaching.

both values somewhere in the 10-18 range which puts them squarely in the Texans crosshairs. we need a pure edge rusher we should get one. then let Bush/Kollar work to develop their talents. the one who scares me is Michael Johnson. on one had your tempted because of his measureables, seeing him line up on Sundays opposite Mario would be like a pair of bookends, the 20 million dollar question is can this staff coach his game up? hence I view Evertte Brown or Brian Orakpo as much safer picks, relatively speaking
With our scheme, I really don't view the OLB/DE guys as a first round consideration. Ayers has never been a sack guy, so I'm not buying his stock as a pass-rushing end. I'm up and down on Johnson. Right now, I might just buy his stock. (Taking from ESPN's segment) Johnson's stock has dropped into the low first/early second round. It's not like he didn't produce last year. Yes, there are more questions than you would like in a prospect, but he has produced and has elite measurables. I'd rather gamble with Johnson or Sidbury because of their physical attributes. If we need a situational pass-rusher, either of those guys can fill that role. The difference is that either of those guys could develop into a 3-down DE while the OLB/DE has much less of a chance to do so. I don't think Brown or Orakpo are "safe" picks at all. I think their size is going to limit them initially as they adapt, more so than a comparable rookie at least, and I don't think those type of guys will outgrow that role.

I feel very similarly about gimmick WR's like Maclin and Harvin. I'm usually pretty outspoken on prospects though, so I'm sure my views are different than the norm.