View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Lou's First Ever Texans Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Matthews played the OLB/DE in college, he rushed the QB. He'd be good for a 3-4 team to play that position but he's never been a 4-3 SLB. He's never played in coverage of TE's or RB's, or taken on lead blockers to stuff the run on the strongside. I agree no one is perfect at #15, there just isn't any great value at that position this year. I'd love to have Curry, wouldn't that be sweet, but he'll be long gone by the time we pick. The second best SLB is Cushing, I'm not 100% sold on him either but at least he played the SLB position in college in a 3-4, he's played the strongside in pass coverage and run stuffing. In every player evaluation I've read and heard he's considered the second best SLB behind Curry, and coverage is what he's best at as well as stuffing the run. I know everyone has warts coming out of college unless your in the top 3. This years draft just doesn't have that many elite players but it has great depth of good players down to the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Honestly do you want to draft a backup player in the 1st round? We need starters in the first 3 rounds.
How could he have played OLB/DE and not taken on a lead blocker at some point?

Matthews is listed on Draftcountdown.com as an inch taller and 3 lbs. lighter than Cushing. Faster too. So I don't think size or speed is the issue between Cushing or Matthews.

Cushing is no playmaker in coverage either. Maybe he's got experience but he also has something else Matthews doesn't have: long injury report
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote