Thread: Texans Mock
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
No issues with your picks, but I really doubt Detroit would want to sell most of its remaining draft to move up 5 spots for one pick and 8 spots for another. The Lions looks almost like a carbon copy of the Texans circa March 2006: an all-world wide receiver and precious little else. In that situation, they need more quality bodies to rebuild the roster. So I don't see the Lions giving up many, if any, picks (well, if they're smart they won't; if Matt Millen was still the GM, then party on, Rick Smith!).

Also, having three first rounders--particularly when one is the top pick--is incredibly expensive and limits a team's financial flexibility going forward. In these times (especially in Michigan), I'm not sure the Lions want to go that route.
Yeah, I know. I went over this for hours this weekend with exactly your thoughts. I have compared Detroit and Texans since the Carr and Joey days.

Lions are approx $40 million under cap and salaries can be widely "manipulated" to team benefit. My thinking is Detroit needs to hit a home run to get fans into the Stadium and buying NFL gear. The LT and Qb Stafford should get national attention. The 25th pick can still bring them a starter and getting three starters in a draft is pretty good. They have the $, do they want to spend?

I was a bit surprised the team did not make an offer to TO who brings a solid player and attention even if he is a club lawyer. He did not hurt the Dallas win column.