View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC South Shamockery

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
honestly, this pick makes more sense than my own @ least from a value standpoint
Quote:
15) Houston Texans - Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
If the Texans are able to land Jerry here, they'd have one of the best starting
DT tandems in the NFL by pairing him with Okoye. Jerry plays with great
functional strength and knows how to get into the backfield.
I'm far from a draftnik, but I competely concur.

The DE need clearly decreased with the signing of Smith, and while it's been said ad nauseum (although correctly) that we still need a pass rusher, I don't see them going that direction in round 1. The coaching staff has been pretty upfront about liking the LB trio of Diles/Ryans/Adibi, and although there's some health concerns, I think they expect Diles to be 100% by the start of TC, and are probably more than willing to give Adibi an off-season of strength and conditioning training before making any negative assumption about his durability. There's just lots of reasons to doubt they're going to even consider a safety in the first round, and with Dunta, Reeves, Molden and Bennett, I just don't see them going CB unless they genuinely believe that Dunta's gone after '09 (and I don't see them conceding that point any time soon). These observations are made based on my perception of what Kubiak and Smith feel our needs are, not any attempt of mine to evaluate our existing talent. One thing about Kubiak is that when he says things like Walters or Diles should get more playing time (or Barber will be the starting safety, or he likes the starting 5 he's got on the O-Line), he's saying it because he genuinely believes it.

That leaves DT, and the current starting tandem of TJ and Amobi. With TJ, you probably have what you're going to get after four years in the league, plus he's a FA after 2009, so it's a crapshoot at best. You clearly don't give up on Amobi after only two years in the league, but you've got to recognize that between another year to mature both mentally and physically, and another coach to attempt to tap his potential, a sub-par 2009 for Amobi would be very difficult to rationalize away.

In the perhaps unlikely event that Jerry's gone (and given that it's a pipedream to think Raji might be around), I don't see another DT worth a first round pick, much less a #15 pick, so maybe it doesn't work out in this draft. But when I try to envision what our "Brain-trust" views as our most compelling needs, it just seems like that's going to end up being interior D-Linemen, and if Jerry is available at 15, it also seems to me they'd be pretty happy with him.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 03-09-2009 at 12:32 PM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote