View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009   #15
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Talk (Post Combine) Member Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
With the 2nd pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select:

T - Jason Smith, Baylor

Reasoning: I really wanted to take Aaron Curry here, but with Orlando Pace reaching the end of his career you just cannot pass up an elite LT prospect. He is a little raw, but after a year or two on the bench behind Pace he will be ready.

With Pace and Barron holding down the starting jobs at Tackle, Smith can sit for a year and learn behind Pace. Barron has not panned out thus far at the RT position, but unless they move him to Guard and let Smith play RT then Smith will be a backup his rookie year.

I looked really hard at Curry here, but once again I just could not pass on a possible franchise LT. I also looked at Eugene Monroe here because he is the other elite Tackle propspect in the draft. While I believe Monroe is more polished than Smith, I took Smith because he has more potential and a higher ceiling IMO. After a year behind Pace the guy will be good and should hold down that LT spot for years.

Poor Calvin Johnson. Hasn't had one good qb in two seasons and now he has a rook. I think the pick was about par with what I have seen.

I also still thnk that you can't pass up Curry!