View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Awtysst's Stupidly Early Precombine Draft Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
You are right that the math does not support this, but look at it from Detroit's perspective. If they do not make this move, they may not get a top flight qb. In this scenario, The Jets, Chicago, and Minne would all want Sanchez. It will be near impossible for him to slide by the Jets and the Bears. And even if that happened, Detroit would have to worry about the Vikings jumping up and grabbing Sanchez. Plus think about this. After Sanchez the next QB is Freeman. Its possible the Jets take Sanchez and the Bears take Freeman. If that occurs, Detroit misses out on the top 3 qbs. They would then have to consider a much lower rated QB.

At the end of the day they have 2 first rounders. It is not a huge price to give up your second to get your franchise QB.

I understand your point but I put myself in the position of Detroits new GM and realize that rebuilding this team will take years and will not be fixed in this draft. If I were Detroits GM I also realize that my team is going to suck again next year and that this years group of QB's isn't very good and there should be several good ones next year. I'd forgo the franchise QB this year and build an O-line to protect the future QB as well as a defense. I'd be afraid that if I draft a franchise QB this year then he'll be the next David Carr and be shell shocked from getting pounded so often. I'd pass on QB this year and build a team worthy of a franchise QB and pick a QB next year when there should be much better QB's to choose from. I do like your trade down scenario, though not to realistic I think, but if it were to happen I'd be thrilled.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote