Originally Posted by b0ng
All stories, articles, quotes, and other sorts of things coming down from the guys at Reliant are saying that we are looking over defense for this draft. I'm not buying any draft mocks that have us taking an RB or a WR in the first because that's where the author thinks they should go.
Well how about a report
After my last entry regarding Michael Crabtree, the topic of whether or not the Texans should consider drafting a WR in the first round was raised in the comments section.
To answer this question for the Texans or any team, you have to first assess the group of wide receivers in terms of talent and their contract status:
• Andre Johnson is a stud and is locked up as your #1 WR.
• Kevin Walter is a very capable #2 who is also active in the Texans run blocking for the zone scheme. He has one year left on his deal, but the Texans will probably extend him.
• David Anderson showed he was a decent slot WR, but he lacks vertical speed and is on the small side. He is not a lock to be a #3 WR in the league, but will do what you ask of him. He might be a better #4 WR who gets on the field in certain packages.
• Andre' Davis was a disappointment this year, but readers know that I was not a big fan of what the Texans paid for him. Davis had 13 catches and was not a game-breaker as a kick returner like he was in 2007. He could be replaced, but with a mid-round draft pick. Davis' signing bonus makes it more expensive to cut him than to keep him at this point.
• Jacoby Jones showed game-changing ability in the punt return game, but was not a factor as a WR. He's getting paid too much to just be a punt returner.
In conclusion: Are the Texans in desperate need of a #1 WR? No. Are they in desperate need of a #2 WR? No. Could the Texans use another quality WR with speed who can also return punts or kicks? Yes. The player who fits into this mold is Jeremy Maclin from Missouri. While I'm not saying he will be a priority, he is the type of WR the Texans could take a look at as a surprise first-round pick thanks to his abilities in the return game.
Like I said, dont be to quick to judge just yet.