View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009   #32
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Round 1 Mock 1/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
It actually blows my mind that some people think this. No offense to you, you are entitled to your opinion and I don't know how much research you do, so you could be on to something that I just don't see.

I watch a lot of prospects. A lot. I watch more college football than anyone else I know, and I wouldn't hesitate to say that I watch more than most draft "experts".

Of all that though, I concentrate on the secondary. That's where I played and that is what I enjoy watching. I know my stuff.

I tell you all that to tell you this: Jenkins is solid in every aspect. IMO, he is the best CB to come out in the draft since Terence Newman. Davis is overrated because of his athleticism. He can be an all pro in the NFL....if he is coached up right. He is over-aggressive, shows poor discipline at times, and there are questions about his effort.

A team with a good secondary coach can take a shot on him. I wouldn't feel comfortable if we took him. In our short history, our DBs have shown a lack of improvement year to year. I would like for our DB coach to prove he can improve players like Bennett and Molden before we take shots at guys like Davis.

I realize that by passing on Davis you are passing on an elite athlete, but at this point, I think we need more guys on our defense that can make an immediate impact. I don't feel like Davis could do that.
I think that's why everyone respects your posts, especially on the NFL draft process because we know you know what you are talking about. I actually really enjoy reading your posts.

I don't want our front office to over-think this. IMHO you draft to get the best players, and Davis is one of the best players available at 15 in this scenario. Without being able to talk to Davis, or be invited to watch him at his pro day, or the combine I have to go off production and what I have seen of him. Granted I have not seen the amount of film on him that I would like. I see a piece of clay that can be molded into an all star. If he flames out then that is the gamble I take, and in the end that is all the draft is when you are leaning on your coaching staff to do the actual work with him. A huge multi-million dollar gamble. :P
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote