View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009   #10
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Mario Round 1 Mock 1/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Ok. So who would you have taken and why?
Your draft doesn't fall very well for the Texans, with their ideal targets off the board. A trade down would be the best option, but you obviously can't project that in a mock. With the players still on the board, and stuck at 15 I would target Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest. He doesn't have elite size, and only good speed, but what he is, is an outstanding football player. All the guy does is make plays, as you can see by his 15 INTs in the last 2 seasons. He can excell in either man, or zone, and is atleast an average corner in run support.

Davis is an elite athlete, but like Vernon, he's not such a great football player. He doesn't make alot of plays, or even put himself in good position to make alot of plays. He's more of a zone corner, and imo would be exposed in a man cover scheme unless he puts in alot of effort, and gets with the right coaches.

If you don't like Smith (some folks can't get past the height, I was one of them till I really watched him play) Brian Cushing is a guy moving up boards. He reminds me alot of Rosevelt Colvin in his early years with the Bears, blitzing from his OLB position, and putting his hand down in obvious passing situations.

2001 69 tackles 10.5 sacks
2002 64 tackles 10.5 sacks

Chris Wells could be an option. A big pounder to team up with Super Steve would give us a great tandem. His injury history gets overhyped, but it's not really that serious. Wells gives us a guy who not only beats down defenses, and picks up the tough yards, but he can break off big chunks of yardage too.

Peria Jerry is certainly an up and commer who has alot of people talking. Most people don't expect the Texans to pick up a 3 tech with Okoye here, but they've said this season the defense will be playing upfield(in the backfield) so two quick penetrating DTs could be exactly what they want. Having a DT penetrate into the running lane can do as much, or more as having a 350lbs wall standing in the way. That's certainly something that Jerry can do. That's actually when the Texans defense looked best against the run this season. When Okoye, or Del-Robinson shot through their gap, the player was pretty much over.

I see Alex Mack as more of a late-fringe first rounder, but he's definately a guy who can make this team alot better. He has the size, strength, and football IQ to make the middle of the O-line a strength.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited by Goatcheese; 01-28-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote