View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009   #39
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: While the woman sleeps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
YTF- I'm down with Maualuga/Ryans to the outside as the pick but I think for the rest of your mock you don't finish what you start. Maualuga would be a nod at having a better run stopping defense but no other picks go that way. No DT, no big hitting safety...

Chung or Delmas in the 2nd as S, or a DT does more than a tiny CB. Plus with Smithiak a 3rd or 4th has been spent at CB the last two years and mentions "never having enough guys who can cover" so I'd expect that trend to continue.

Demeco/Adibi coming off the edge or covering would be sick. Those two are too fast to get around especially if Ryans shed his wannabe-MLB bulk. Even if a big play or two came up the middle Rey-Rey's physical demeanor, aggression is something that is sorely lacking in this defense.
Chung is no different than what we have. I liken him to Glenn Earl (healthy). Nothing special but will be drafted in the second round. He is an in-box safety; the exact opposite of what everyone wants.

I used a higher pick on a CB because the amount of guys who can cover is very limited. There are plenty of "potential" guys like Molden who have the physical set. I went with a more proven cover man, where the value is earlier. Sean Smith or D.J. Moore may be an option as well. We don't need bodies, we have enough guys technically; we need guys who can overtake or upgrade. We have some developmental guys (Molden and Bennett) already.

We likely won't be going with a big, run stuffing DT. Our new coordinator's past schemes haven't used them. We don't have them. His past defenses have been successful enough without them, and we actually have the DT personnel (if developed to an extent) to play the style most on this board have indicated we will used. I would love to have a Terrance Cody (not in the draft) type body, but we don't need it. That's why I didn't include it. I went with a larger LB because of the new DC's tendency to utilize smaller DTs.

As mentioned above, we don't need a new "hard hitting safety". We have those guys. Meet C.C. Brown. That was Glenn Earl's role. That was what we hoped Boluware could do.

I hope this answers your stuff.