View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009   #25
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: While the woman sleeps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm just curious as to why you guys can justify moving Demeco Ryans outside ?

What I know is Ray can't play outside in a 4-3. I mean he could play there...but he isn't going to be productive there. It's almost like you're saying we've watched one slew footed line backer for two years and our solution is to draft another one, younger, with better college stats, and stick the one we currently have playing middle line backer, outside to replace the one we're trying to upgrade ? I don't get it. Or are you guys saying out right you're just going to trade Ryan's befor the draft ? Explain it to me YTF.
lol.

You know for a fact that a productive an super athletic LB from a school with a good history of NFL players can't play a position in the NFL? Have you watched Maualuga? He may be big (260 or so) but he can move. He could run a 4.5 4.6 type dash. It's not even that, it's his explosive ability when getting to the ball. If he's able to play sideline to sideline in the middle, why couldn't he play middle to sideline if he lined up on the outside? Maualuga is anything but slow footed. The only way Ryans isn't on this team is if someone like you were to take over pete. As another poster mentioned, the best 3 LBs will play. When Ryans was drafted, he was expected to play OLB and he just worked his way into the MLB role. The best 3 will play, at the position that they will help the team at the most.

As far as Ryans goes, he was an OLB coming out of college; he is our best blitzing LB; he has the speed to play on the outside; while he has hands of stone, he is above average in coverage; and is just that talented of a player.

I'm not saying Ryans has to move, but I think this gives our defense the ability to get two elite LBs on the field together. Maualuga can play on the outside. I think everyone is reading way too much into that part of it. Ryans will still make all the calls, regardless of where he lines up. If DeMeco is lined up at CB, he would still make the audible calls and the defensive play relays to the team.

My reaction to your post is simply that you haven't watched Maualuga, and I'm honestly leaning towards you not having watched Ryans if you are calling him "slew" footed.