View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Sports Illustrated mock draft

I believe Weaver's trade value was the reason he said it would have to be with a 3-4 team. No 4-3 team other than the Houston Texans would be interested in him at all. Possibly a 3-4 team would think he may be a diamond in the rough.

He also mentions signing Dunta, then packaging Dunta with Weaver, to make that trade more inticing.

However, for that to work for the Texans, it would have to be a "trade away from Houston" friendly contract, and I can't see that with the franchise tag.

Now we all agree that we paid way too much for Weaver. IMHO, his contract was the last mistake by the Casserly regime..... it was the first contract he authored with Kubiak as our headcoach. We've not signed any similarly bad contracts since then. Hopefully, we won't ever again.

We've got scouts employed by the Houston Texans, who should have a very, very good idea of what a player can bring to our team, and what that contribution should be worth to our team.

No we can all agree that there are questions as to Weaver's worth to this team. Some says he doesn't bring what his contract demands. He has no sacks to speak of. All he does is tie up blockers.

But when we signed him, he immediately became the veteran presence and influence of our front four. He is our anchor, our mentor, and our "leader" on the D-Line.

So it is with Dunta. He isn't and never has been a "Cover Corner". He is a sure tackler, and he is/was the best CB in run support.

His biggest and best contribution is in the locker room & on the sidelines.

Our pesonel department has to determine what that is worth to the team.

To franchise him, you've got to put him on the field, more times than not..... like Weaver.

Unless we go to a primarily a nickel package, I can't see that happening. I can't see putting him ahead of Reeves(who has been our best corner since we lost Glen) or Bennet(who we hope to be much improved). Then we've got Molden who also shows some promise.

Don't get me wrong, I still hope we draft a Corner in the first round. A starter. While I think our best corners are Reeves & Bennett, I don't believe we have a #1 on this team. With or without Dunta.

& I in no way want to jepordize our ability to sign one, by overpaying for a cheerleader.