View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZs premiere 2009 Mock has us taking a DT. No Way !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I know you like you're guy, he's from your school, but we've got not one but 2 first round Draft picks who are already of the same style/type, i.e., there all basically one-gap DTs. And based upon from I've seen, Jerry is clearly the best of the three. But the Texans just don't have so much
talent that they can afford the luxury of that kind of redunduncy, even if Jerry is the BPA at #15.
If LZs Board were to really play out that way in April, there's atleast a half dozen players I'd take before Jerry, to maybe include even one or 2 offensive prospects.
He's not my guy, my guy this year is Raji. (Patrick Willis in '07 and Brandon Albert in '08) I think Jerry is the real deal and going to be a star in the NFL. With that said, I'm not a homer and will tell it like it is. I'd rather have Raji than Jerry. The fact we've got two 1st rd picks at DT already is a moot point to me. If their salaries were awful, it'd be a problem but I don't think having Amobi, Travis and Jerry at DT would hurt our team financially in the least bit.

There are two DT spots so you need two DTs to fill them. If the new DL coach can get Travis to turn the corner (which I think could be a possibility) then its a different story. Amobi has another few years to mature and he could be a beast. Travis is a FA after this year, i think? If he plays like crap, he's gone or he gets a much lower backup salary. I think he'd be a good backup. Which brings me to the next point... who do you have starting at DT? I see a lot of good depth on this team but no real starters.

I think spending another high draft pick on the DL (assuming they are worth their selection) is a MUST. We've already invested so much in the DL, we're trying to make it the stength and foundation of the D... why quit now? We can't be scared, we've got to get our players more help or else Amobi will never be able to shine. I think DT and DE are both needs.

Like you said though, there are several other players that could be viable picks at 15 if they decide not to go the DT route. Trade down this year could be a really good thing.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote