View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009   #18
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 Round Mock Draft...but wait, there's more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks for compliments. My thinking on two half backs is Slaton was signed as a third down back who has surpassed the goal, so does that necessarily mean we should run him into the ground? As we all know RB takes probably more pounding than anyone especially one that is not afraid to go up the middle. Then we add on his catches where he again gets hammered. This system is perfect for Slaton and should also be perfect for a similar back like Johnson. I am not talking about a 50- 50 split with Slaton and Green or Johnson. Heck, Green has excellent speed and I'd be ok with those two handling the load. Yet, if we can resolve the DE, DT, power back and FS spots and we can with Raji, Green, Delmas or Johnson and Ayers we can then splurge on a Slaton clone. We are always one sprained ankle or knee, etc from Slaton missing games. Plug in Johnson and Rock and Roll continues. Is a 2nd half back a luxury? Not if your garage is full of everything else you need.

Some are going to mention CBs needing improvement. I agree but do not see a draft pick higher than 4th round going for a CB as I think Kubes is satisfied with what we have. I am hopeful that a starter opposite Dunta (if he signs) can be found in FA and for me, I'd get the check book out to get a Asomugha type. I also think Bush is going to bring a different style of attacking/coverage that will make our guys be even better. Reeves with his speed may get a few sacks.

Just imagine a fresh Slaton, Green or Ian Johnson available for every play for 4 quarters! The defense would be worn out and probably start to bring up to fill the box. Guess who would be waiting in the end zone? ANDRE JOHNSON!

Now if I can just resolve the turn over problem?

Steve
Reading your post, a vision came to me. I have no idea why I haven't thought of this before. As we all know, Slaton is a pretty good receiver out of the backfield, and he even caught a long TD pass this season. How awesome would it be to have Shonn Greene in the backfield and Slaton split out wide? Defenses would have absolutely no idea what to do. There's no doubt in my mind that with a healthy QB and an upgrade at RB2 that we can be in the top 5 in all offensive categories. As for Johnson, it is a luxury pick, but let's take a quick look at our RBs that are currently on the roster. Slaton is great, has surpassed everyone's predictions, and there's no end in sight if we can keep from DDW-ing him. Ahman Green is a mummy (always wrapped in tape) and will be cut. Chris Brown is made of glass and should be cut, but I'm not totally sure what the cap implications would be. Ryan Moats actually played well, and I like him, but I wouldn't be bummed if we went in another direction since he's small and hasn't really shown the ability to get the tough yards. Ian or Gartrell Johnson would both be great pickups in the later rounds and could step up if Slaton were to miss a game or two.

What does everyone think about QB? Is it a draftable position this year or are we going to try to stick Alex Brink on the PS again? Rosenfels showed this season why he has been a backup everywhere he's ever been. If Schaub goes down during a game, he's good to step in and finish it, but he blows as a starter. I think we should try to trade him for whatever we can, though that ship may have sailed and Kubiak may feel confident that we should keep him when (if?) Schaub gets hurt. If Rosenfels is gone, do we rely on Brink?

Speaking of Schaub, nobody will ever know how enraged it has made me the past two seasons when he has missed time due to cheap shots. First Florence and Haynesworth cleaned his clock on a dirty plays in 2007, then Jared Allen repeatedly went after his knees this season and ended up tearing his MCL. We need a nasty, angry mofo on this team that won't take that crap and that will exact some calculated revenge on the other team in the event that something like this happens in the future. I get that we're nice guys and we don't break the law and all that, but that doesn't mean we have to be pansies!