View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3 Round Mock Draft...but wait, there's more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Honestly, I painted myself into a corner with the Texans pick and had absolutely no idea who I was going to select at 15. I thought I was being bold by predicting us gambling on a guy who has a chance to be great, but then I find that Lance Zierlein posted this same prediction a couple of hours before me. Regardless, I feel Maybin's potential is high enough that he is worthy of this pick, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go before we pick to one of the 3-4 teams that needs a boost with their pass rush. I could see him going as high as Cleveland.

To answer your questions, I agree with you that stopping the run is more important than going DE, and if Raji were available at 15, he'd be the pick in my mind over just about anyone. While Raji has great size to be a NT, his skill set is such that he can command double teams and still penetrate and collapse the pocket. I really think he's the best of both worlds and would do well "shooting the gaps" in Bush's defense. Raji would instantly make Okoye and Mario better. He would be a phenomenal pick.

Ayers would be a great pickup in the 4th if we're unable to address DE before then. It's always nice to see accolades such as All-SEC when you choose a player, however we've shown a tendency to take small school guys like Molden and Jacoby, and I was trying to work that in. Truthfully, I'm not sure if Domonique Johnson fits our personality type. He started out at Mizzou but ended up transferring because he couldn't take the coach questioning his determination. Just seems odd to me.

I feel as if our FO would try to get out of that pick if the chips fell that way. Atlanta is an interesting possibility. It's also possible that Minnesota would try to trade up so they could get Sanchez. If we were to trade down to 24, I'd have to think that Alphonso Smith becomes the pick from a sheer BPA perspective, assuming we don't make a huge splash at CB in the FA market. If we were to sign someone similar to Greer, who I'm hoping is still under the radar enough that he wouldn't command a huge pay day, I'd think that Brian Cushing would be our pick at 24. Maybin would go to either the Chargers, Jets, or Patriots in this scenario.

You're spot on regarding the Redskins. RT is their biggest need, but there wasn't anyone available who I felt was a fit. Also, never underestimate the price that Dan Snyder is willing to pay for prime free agents. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them land Jordan Gross and then trade this pick for another player. That being said, I actually like your picks better than mine. I like Ian Johnson more than most, but I'm not sure about drafting two RBs. Then again, the Broncos went that 7 or 8 RBs this year, so you can never have enough. Thanks for the input!
Thanks for compliments. My thinking on two half backs is Slaton was signed as a third down back who has surpassed the goal, so does that necessarily mean we should run him into the ground? As we all know RB takes probably more pounding than anyone especially one that is not afraid to go up the middle. Then we add on his catches where he again gets hammered. This system is perfect for Slaton and should also be perfect for a similar back like Johnson. I am not talking about a 50- 50 split with Slaton and Green or Johnson. Heck, Green has excellent speed and I'd be ok with those two handling the load. Yet, if we can resolve the DE, DT, power back and FS spots and we can with Raji, Green, Delmas or Johnson and Ayers we can then splurge on a Slaton clone. We are always one sprained ankle or knee, etc from Slaton missing games. Plug in Johnson and Rock and Roll continues. Is a 2nd half back a luxury? Not if your garage is full of everything else you need.

Some are going to mention CBs needing improvement. I agree but do not see a draft pick higher than 4th round going for a CB as I think Kubes is satisfied with what we have. I am hopeful that a starter opposite Dunta (if he signs) can be found in FA and for me, I'd get the check book out to get a Asomugha type. I also think Bush is going to bring a different style of attacking/coverage that will make our guys be even better. Reeves with his speed may get a few sacks.

Just imagine a fresh Slaton, Green or Ian Johnson available for every play for 4 quarters! The defense would be worn out and probably start to bring up to fill the box. Guess who would be waiting in the end zone? ANDRE JOHNSON!

Now if I can just resolve the turn over problem?

Steve