View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Future of the Titans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Just curious, when the Oilers were here, one of the main complaints about Bud as an owner was his unwillingness to open up the purse strings and sign the high dollar players. Now, I know he spent big for VY, but I kinda view that as an aberration - since he had ulterior motives for that one.

Anyway, this is really a two part question. Do the Titan fans like Bud as an owner? And is he still stingy with the paychecks?
Bud Adams long ago stopped being cheap where player salaries are concerned. He was paying top dollar for players when his team was here in Houston. In the 60's and 70's he earned a reputation for being notoriously stingy with player salaries and that is where this notion comes from. He was also very tight about running the organization in the early days and that continued throughout his time here. The Oilers practice facility was notable for being possibly the worst in the NFL and I'm sure that's improved (if for no other reason than he's got the taxpayers in Possum Holler paying for it). Bud also had a reputation for not being willing to pay coaches top dollar and that went on right up to Jack Pardee (and I presume Jeff Fisher's early contract. I don't know what Fisher makes today).

Mostly though he's not that cheap when it comes to contracts. It's just hard for him to shake the reputation he's built.