View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some one tell me why I miss the Oilers?

"An Adams accountant-turned-best-boy, Herzeg became GM in 1980. By 1987, he was out of control. He was arrested after disrupting a wedding reception at his hotel in Buffalo and punching the groom's brother. He denied accusations he mooned the wedding party but offered to resign anyway. Adams kept him. Later that year, Herzeg was ordered to pay child support in connection with a paternity suit. Two years later, he punched a sports writer in a Houston restaurant. He offered again to resign. This time, Adams took his advice."

I clearly recall this happening and how embarassing it was for the franchise. Adams is a schlong.

Catch the bit about being a penny pincher? I truly hope Tennessee feels this grief soon.

"Bud Adams' favorite means of pinching pennies has always been pinching players. Charlie Hennigan, one of the club's early receiving stars, was a high school biology teacher in Louisiana before he tried out and made the team in 1960. Hennigan kept a pay stub in his helmet as a constant reminder that he made exactly $2,724.18 during his final year of teaching. In football, Hennigan knew, he could make twice the money in half the time. Yet, in 1965, Hennigan threatened to retire from the Oilers. Hennigan believed his 1964 performance qualified him for a raise. Adams disagreed. And just what had Hennigan done in 1964 that was so special?

He caught 101 passes - the most in pro football history."