View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Awtysst's Stupidly Early January Draft Thoughts

I'm liking the Raji pick more and more, I just think that he could do so much for our defense. He helps out big time in the run game because of the blockers he will command. Not only does he tie up multiple blockers but he makes plays in the backfield against the run and pass. He will help keep linemen off of DeMeco and the rest of our linebackers. Stopping the run more consistently will lead to longer 3rd downs which means better percentage for us to stop them and more opportunity for sacks and turnovers. Getting a push up the middle will do wonders for Mario.

I know we need another rusher opposite Mario but I think we can find a guy that would be productive in time in the 2nd-4th rounds or even in FA. I would also like to see Cochran get Weavers snaps since he has shown some signs of being a competent pass-rusher. I believe that we will be more aggressive with our blitzes under a new D-coordinator so hopefully we will get a small amount of sacks from a large amount of players. I will be surprised if we do not break our team record for sacks next season. (37 in 2005)

Safety is another area we could target with that first pick but Mays is the only guy I would be happy with barring a sizeable trade down. Again, I think we can find a nice prospect in the 2nd/3rd round.

At LBer I like the mix we have but I would like to see us go after a guy like Leroy Hill from Seattle. He would be our 2nd best LBer out of the gate and with Diles and Bentley we would have some really nice depth.

I don't know about going O-line in round two. There was a while where I would not have minded us going after a tackle as early as round 1 but at this point I am content to go into next season with our current line and let them continue to gel. We definitely need a compliment to Slaton, but I question whether we spend an early (third round or earlier) pick on a runner. I mean hopefully we run the ball better and more often next season but we have too many weapons at receiver and TE to employ a two-back system like the Panthers, Titans or Giants. I also like Moats' potential.