View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008   #309
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Titans are a classless team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Let's take the Patriots and move them lock, stock and barrel to Nebraska, build them a new stadium. How long will it take them to have a winning season?

Prpbably not long either as they will have the same owner, coaches and players as you did when you moved to Tennessee.

Building as franchise from scratch usually takes a while. Even the Patriots suffered through years of mediocrity before they started winning on a regular basis.

It takes the right combination of GM, Scouting and coaches. If one or mores part are bad then it takes several more years to get it right. Casserly and Capers did a good job of leaving us where we were when they started - with the exception of a few good players.
Normally, this post is 100% correct. The Titans are a bit of an anomoly.

1) Normally when a franchise goes tits up performance-wise, the coach is toast. Fisher bucked this trend. The team benefited bigtime from him not getting the axe.

2) The Titans have had some higher picks go to waste (Pacman, Woolfolk, Chris Henry, Tyrone Calico, VY) yet they hit so much on middle and late rounders (Roos, Stewart, Finnegan, Hayes) as well as finding players in the scrap heap (Collins, Tony Brown, David Ball) that it negates the bigtime busts. Most teams would never be able to survive such huge busts on draftday. They have had some success (Griffin, Johnson) so not every first rounder was terrible.

I'm just dumbfounded how the Titans had these misses and actually became a better team. Kinda like the Pats losing Bledsoe and becoming a world champ x 3.

3) Steady decisionmaking with no panic moves. Unlike Jerry Jones, Jeffrey Lurie, hell the entire NFC East minus the Giants, the Titans don't panic when free agents start signing ridiculous contracts. I remember the Titans boards just losing it when Nate Clements signed a sick contract with SF 2 years ago. Same with Assante Samuel and Berrian last year. Steady teams like the Titans recognized that these players were way overvalued and would not only not improve the team, but would likely rock the boat due to their contracts making other players mad. Same for the Roy Williams trade by Jerry Jones. It accomplished zilch for a dysfunctional team and they will regret it bigtime come draftday, which is showing signs of being a sweet as hell first round.

4) The players the Titans did target were better fits. Chris Hope, David Thornton, Justin Gage, Alge Crumpler and Jake Scott have all proven to be decent to terrific moves, and none were huge deals.

I will say this. The Titans blueprint to 13-2 this year is one of the strangest ones I've ever seen. I am wondering if the team just caught lightning in a bottle, and need to cash in this year while the getting is good. But when I look at the nucleus, the team is young. The only position that I would call 'aging' is LB, where Bulluck and Thornton could use their heir(s).

I was really worried about losing Haynesworth, but after the Steelers game, the team may have another hit on the hands in Jason Jones, a player I remember saying "Who the hell is that" on draft day when I was praying they would trade up and grab DeSean Jackson.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote