View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mayocks top 20 seniors for the 2009 draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
If Brown keeps getting beat by pass rushers but he's doing well in the running game, it seems to me he may fit better at RT or RG. Him and Winston run blocking next to each other could be really really good. Defenses may have to concentrate on that side and it would open up the left side of the field. Keep AJ on the left and that would draw a safety over there. Field should be open short left and deep right all day long

Lots of top tackles this year and we're picking in the top half. Wouldn't be surprised if there's one available to us with other top talent needing to go like Curry, Orakpo, Jenkins, etc. Maybe we could use a player we have as some bait to move up to grab one. What player? good question.

I really want a studly defense and we need tons of help on that side, but the one thing you CANT do is ignore protecting your QB. I get the notion of drafting Gibbs/Kubiak guys late in the draft but how long will it take for them to develop and how much longer are we going to gamble with Schaub staying healthy?

If Schaub has the protection and time to let the play develop, our offense is virtually unstoppable. The only way to win when your defense is giving up 30 pts/game is for your offense to say "thanks... we'll just score 40"
number one. the Texans drafted DL, not counting Babin who was really a DE projected to fit @ OLB, with their 1st pick three years in a row (05 TJ, 06 Mario, 07 Okoye). so I don't think its that big of reach they could take thier top rated OL in the first for two straight years.

number two. big progress with Gibbs reworking the OL but its apparent he needs more time & more talent to work with. this could be his last season or maybe Kubiak can talk him into one more year but I would recommend letting him finish his buisness & lay the long term foundation for this orgainization while you got him.

number three. I can see we're going to have a similar discussion on the tackle/guard prospects- does he fit the Gibbs system or not. I got bashed last year when I said Clady was the best tackle & could excell in a ZBS, seems like hes done pretty well for himself in Denver. Jeff Otah who was available (went #19 to Carolina) could easily upgraded RT (sorry Winston) or either Guard position. while he is a power blocking lineman its easy to see with that running attack pro bowl upside in his dominant run blocking ability, hey the Texans could not use that in goal line situations?

number four. this is another excellent group of prospects, the likes of which will not be seen in a while, its interesting to see how certain positions have big swings in talent & this one is close to last years which was the best class ever. I'm thankful the Texans got one of them, thank you sir can I have another?

number five. Brown will remain the Texans LT. that does not mean however they would not use the 1st pick to draft another LT. it depends entirely who is left on the board if Eugene Monroe is there he would be the perfect fit @ RT (he played RT when D'Brickashaw Ferguson was LT @ Virginia). Winston could be moved to Ptts LG position while Pitts moves to RG for Brisiel.

number six. use a 2nd or 3rd for a Center. there that would be the Texans foundation for years going forward giving Gibbs a very satisfying retirement. Matt Schaub becomes a healthy, productive QB while Slaton & Co. can control the clock, convert red-zone & 3rd/4th down conversions.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote