View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 125280 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The People versus Kubiak and Smith - 2nd Degree Murder of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
this is kind of my thinking as well. my question is similar to yours, if the defense continues to play well throughout the remainder of the season, i wouldn't be surprised if he remains our DC. honestly, i wouldn't be opposed either. all i want is to win football games. if the defense improves and develop some consistency and we stop turning the ball over and win some football games then i'm perfectly happy with smith as the DC. but consistency has to happen. in my eyes he's still on probation. so long as the defense continues to improve. every game since detroit they have looked better except for the Minnisota game and the Indy game. and in those games they looked good for a half. that's progress in my book. i'm not saying keep him. i'm saying i wouldn't be surprised if we do.
this is what was said last season. and the year before. and if he stays someone will probably be repeating it again next season. we cant play defense for half a season and be satisfied with it. if smith was going to figure that out he would've done so by now and the numbers would start to balance out - instead we've been and still are in the bottom half of the league in every defensive category (and as texans chick has talked about, our index and combined numbers are some of the worst ever). there's not a thing smith can do that would earn my vote to give him yet another probationary period. let him go, bring in (or promote) someone who can aggressively challange the defense and coach up the talent we're bringing to that side of the ball.