View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive thoughts as of lately...

If you look at our defense we have one star at each level. On the Dline it's Mario, LBers it's DeMeco, and CBs it's Dunta. Outside of these guys we could really use an upgrade at every position. We aren't stacked with depth at any position so we have the opportunity to take BPA on defense. What is our biggest need on defense? It is arguable. Run stuffing DT? Cover corner? Versatile LB? Lengthy Safety? All things we need.

The best way to approach our first round pick this year may be to just take the most dominating defensive player left on the board, regardless of position.

If we went CB our situation would be 1st rounder, Dunta, Bennett, Reeves, Molden. Perhaps we would be shoving Molden and Bennett aside too early. Even Reeves is a young player. Not to mention next year is going to be the year to judge post-injury Dunta. I think we should wait another year to see what the CBs already on our roster can do. At this point I have no idea what Molden can do, other than he plays well on special teams and seems to work hard. Bennett is up and down and I don't know what caliber of player he is yet. Reeves looks to be a solid #3 and a somewhat inconsistent #2.

Safety is tough because we need a good safety desperately but honestly I don't see a sure fire first round safety outside of Mays in this draft. And even Mays is tough to grade accurately IMO.

There seems to be a few DTs that fit our run stuffing needs in this draft. Same goes for pass rushing DEs and versatile LBers. I think it will come down to DT/DE/LB if we decide to go defense in the 1st round.

It works because we do not get enough tackles for loss. We need to start dominating the point of attack if we want to dominate offenses.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote