View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive thoughts as of lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Honestly we have so many needs, IMO going BPA is still the best route. Let the draft come to us. Now if it comes down to our pick and Oher, Orakpo, Curry and either one of the top 2 corners are left Im going Oher. Franchise LT's are a rare commodity. You just dont pass them up. I would not be against moving Brown gaurd at all. Its not like hes been dominating at T. It would only make our line stronger and its not like we have good depth there. Think about how bad a situation it would be if Brown or Winston went down.

My next choice would be Orakpo. With the way the rules are now its almost impossible to get coverage sacks. Because WR's are given such an advantage now its even more important to get pressure on the QB or you are going to get picked apart no matter who you have at CB. Of cousre if we had a DC that blitzed the OLB more I would go with whomever is best at getting to the QB.
Brown looks more like a guard, this could work. Oher is the prototypical NFL LT has everything you look for size, technique & temperment, but alas its a pipe dream to expect him to hang around on the board until the Texans pick.

investing in DE is a time intensive proposition one that I'd be willing to spend via free agency where he is ready & up to speed immediately. thats why the Texans should be aggressive & go after Peppers in free agency. Texans can create more cap room to get real players if they cut loose less productive cost prohibitive dissapointments (Greenwood/Weaver/Travis Johnson/Ahman Green).

defensive questions hinge not only active players but those on the shelf, recovering/rehabing from injury. is Dunta the same corner before the injury & what is his market value now? can Diles & CC Brown both starting cornerstones on defense return to form? Rick Smith has done well to maintain those positions by aquireing depth via free agency & the draft but are any of those players starting material going forward into the future?

I'm satisfied with the results from the last draft when the Texans used their #1 pick to trade down & aquire the extra pick that became their running attack in Steve Slaton (also like Barber going forward, maybe he can replace CC Brown if unable to stay healthy). a proven, steady strategy is to maximize much as possible draft picks & tradeable players to aquire upgrades across this roster. I would like to see two of those high picks placed on the interior of each line, meaning OL/DL. after that speed on the edge in run/pass rush support, meaning OLB. then maybe one free agent banger type RB & one via the draft to replenish the ground game. thats both realistic & probable as time passes over the next five months
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote