View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm sure that Carr is locked in for several more years, but I'm less sure about the rest of the 2002 draft class. I assumed that Gaffney, Pitts and Weary are first day picks who are locked in through 2005 (their 4th year), but I confess I'm not sure. Alan Burge shows a 2005 cap number for each, although I suppose they could have performance clauses granting early free agency.
Believe it or not Carr has an option year in '05 (the 4th year of his "potential" 7 year deal that he signed in '02). His base skyrockets to $5.5 million next year and the Texans have the option to a) let him go UFA after '05, or b) buy back either the last two or three years of his contract. If the Texans choose the two year option, Carr receives a bonus of $5.5 million and base salaries of $5 million in '06 and $5.25 million in '07. If the Texans choose the three year option, Carr receives a bonus of $8 million and base salaries of $5.25 million in '06 and '07 and $6 million in '08. We've talked about this before -- that Carr is about to become very expensive and this is the last year he's relatively cheap. He will be paid like an elite QB in '05.

Pitts is signed through '05 and Weary through '06. Nothing fancy about their contracts. Pitts will be eligibile for unrestricted free agency when his contract expires after the '05 season, and Weary will be eligible for UFA if he's still around at the end of '06.

Gaffney's contract has the potential to run through '08 but he has a voidable year in '06.

Last edited by aj.; 06-23-2004 at 08:27 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote