View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
Thank you for the clarification. Just a couple of more comments you may be able to help me with.

When you say McCree signs a deal that does not get him through four years, I take it you mean that when the Jags waive him, they have no restricted rights in him, although he has less than four years service, but the Texans, who kept him until the end of his one year contract did have restricted rights. Correct? In addition, I take it that four years refers to 'accrued years' on a NFL team roster. DeMarcus Faggins for instance, who hasn't spent all his time after the draft on the Texans roster (ie he was on the practice squad) might be restricted for longer than say Ramon Walker, who I believe has always been on the roster. Am I correct?
An accrued season is six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or pup lists. Don't know if Faggins specifically had six last year or not but yes someone that sits on the practice squad for a year I believe has not accrued a season and so might be post-draft a year more than a regular player before becoming unrestricted.

Once the Jags waived McCree they gave up any kind of right in him. When the Texans signed him to a one year deal he had two accrued seasons--after last year he had three so despite the fact that he was not under contract with the Texans he was a restricted free agent. If McCree had signed a two year contract last year and accrued two years with the Texans on top of his two with the Jags, he never would have been a restricted free agent--or to put it another way, once his contract was up at the end of this upcoming season he would have been an UFA.